- 3-Button-Mouse, The 3 Button Serial Mouse mini-HOWTO
Updated: May 1998. How to get a 3 button serial mouse working properly under Linux.
- 3D-Modelling, 3D Graphics Modelling and Rendering mini-HOWTO
Updated: March 2001. Details download and installation instructions for a graphics rendering and modelling development environment using RedHat Linux.
- 3Dfx-HOWTO, The Linux 3Dfx HOWTO
Updated: February 1998. Describes 3Dfx graphics accelerator chip support for Linux.
- 4mb-Laptops, 4mb Laptop HOWTO
Updated: April 2000. Put a “grown-up” Linux on a small-spec (4mb RAM, <=200mb hard disk) laptop.
- Accessibility-HOWTO, Linux Accessibility HOWTO
Updated: June 2002. Covers the use of adaptive technologies that are available for Linux.
- Accessibility-Dev-HOWTO, How to Develop Accessible Linux Applications
Updated: May 2002. Provides Linux software developers with guidelines and test cases for developing accessible Linux applications.
- Acer-Laptop-HOWTO, Linux Installation on an Acer LapTop HOWTO
Updated: January 2001. Describes the installation of Linux on a Acer laptop and various issues related to this.
- ACP-Modem, Linux ACP Modem (Mwave) mini-HOWTO
Updated: July 2002. Describes how to build, setup, and use the ACP (Mwave) Modem feature of the IBM Thinkpad[tm] 600E, 600, and 770x.
- ACPI-HOWTO, ACPI: Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
Updated: July 2003. Outlines how to patch a kernel for ACPI support; which allows control of power management from within the operating system.
- ADSL HOWTO for Linux Systems – replaced by the DSL HOWTO for Linux.
- ADSL-Bandwidth-Management-HOWTO, ADSL Bandwidth Management HOWTO
Updated: April 2003. Describes how to configure a linux router to more effectively manage outbound traffic on an ADSL modem.
- ADSM-Backup, Linux ADSM mini-HOWTO
Updated: January 1997. How to install and use a client for the commercial ADSM backup system for Linux/i386.
- Adv-Bash-Scr-HOWTO – replaced by the Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide.
- Adv-Routing-HOWTO, Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control HOWTO
Updated: July 2002. A very hands-on approach to iproute2, traffic shaping and a bit of netfilter.
- Advocacy, Linux Advocacy mini-HOWTO
Updated: May 2000. Suggestions for how the Linux community can effectively advocate the use of Linux.
- AI-Alife-HOWTO, Linux AI & Alife HOWTO
Updated: February 2003. Information about, and links to, various AI related software libraries, applications, etc. that work on the Linux platform.
- Alpha-HOWTO, Brief Introduction to Alpha Systems and Processors
Updated: June 1997. A brief overview of existing Alpha CPUs, chipsets and systems.
- Alsa-sound, Alsa-sound-mini-HOWTO
Updated: November 1999. Describes the installation of the ALSA sound drivers for Linux.
- Antares-RAID-sparcLinux-HOWTO, Antares-RAID-sparcLinux-HOWTO
Updated: May 2002. Describes how to install, configure, and maintain a hardware RAID built around the 5070 SBUS host based RAID controller by Antares Microsystems.
- Apache-Compile-HOWTO, Apache Compile HOWTO (Linux edition)
Updated: February 2003. Describes how to compile the Apache Webserver with important modules like mod_perl, mod_dav, mod_auth_ldap, mod_dynvhost, mod_roaming, mod_jserv, and mod_php.
- Apache-mods, Apache+DSO+mod_ssl+mod_perl+php+mod_auth_nds+mod_auth_mysql+mod_fastcgi mini-HOWTO
Updated: April 2000. Details the installation of an Apache based webserver suite configured to handle DSO, and various useful modules including mod_perl, mod_ssl and php.
- Apache-Overview-HOWTO, Apache Overview HOWTO
Updated: October 2002. An overview of the Apache webserver and related projects. It provides pointers for further information and implementation details.
- Apache+SSL+PHP+fp, Linux Apache SSL PHP/FI frontpage mini-HOWTO
Updated: July 1998. About building a multipurpose webserver that will support dynamic web content via the PHP/FI scripting language, secure transmission of data based on Netscape’s SSL, secure execution of CGI’s and MS Frontpage Server Extensions.
- Apache-WebDAV-LDAP-HOWTO, Apache WebDAV and LDAP HOWTO
Updated: June 2002. A HOWTO on implementing WebDAV services using Apache – with LDAP for authentication and SSL for ensuring security of the DAV stores.
- Assembly-HOWTO, Linux Assembly HOWTO
Updated: August 2002. How to program in assembly language using FREE programming tools, focusing on development for or from the Linux Operating System on IA-32 (i386) platform.
- Astronomy-HOWTO, Linux Astronomy HOWTO
Updated: April 2003. Document shares tips and resources to utilize Linux solutions in the pursuit of Astronomy.
- ATA-RAID-HOWTO, Linux ATA RAID HOWTO
Updated: May 2002. Explains how to install Linux on an Intel Pentium compatible computer with an ATA RAID Controller (onboard chip or seperate card), single or multiple processors and at least two hard disks.
- Athlon-Powersaving-HOWTO, Athlon Powersaving HOWTO
Updated: July 2003. How to enable the power-saving functionality of the Athlon/Duron/AthlonXP processor on some motherboards/chipsets.
- ATM-Linux-HOWTO, ATM on Linux HOWTO
Updated: October 2001. Describes how to install, setup, and configure the necessary drivers and tools to support ATM networking under Linux.
- Authentication-Gateway-HOWTO, Authentication Gateway HOWTO
Updated: November 2002. Document explains how to setup an authentication gateway.
- Automount, Automount mini-HOWTO
Updated: December 2002. Describes the autofs automounter, how to configure it; points out some problems to avoid.
- AX25-HOWTO, Linux Amateur Radio AX.25 HOWTO
Updated: September 2001. How to install and configure support for the AX. 25 packet radio protocol utilized by Amateur Radio Operators worldwide.
- BackspaceDelete, Linux Backspace/Delete mini-HOWTO
Updated: January 2002. Solutions for having working Backspace and Delete keys on the console and on X.
- Backup-With-MSDOS, Backup-With-MSDOS mini-HOWTO
Updated: August 1997. How to use a Linux-compatible tape drive installed on an MS-DOS machine to back up the filesystem of a Linux machine.
- Bandwidth-Limiting-HOWTO, Bandwidth Limiting HOWTO
Updated: November 2001. Describes how to set up your Linux server to limit download bandwidth or incoming traffic, and how to use your internet link more efficiently.
- Bangla-HOWTO, Bengali in GNU/Linux HOWTO
Updated: April 2003. A document to setup and develop support for Bengali (Bangla) in GNU/Linux.
- Bangla-PDF-HOWTO, Bangla PDF HOWTO
Updated: April 2003. Describes the PDF creation process using KWord with the Bijoy2000 fonts and Bijoy keyboard, for working in the Bangla language.
- Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO, BASH Programming – Introduction HOWTO
Updated: July 2000. This article intends to help you to start programming basic-to-intermediate shell scripts.
- Bash-Prompt-HOWTO, Bash Prompt HOWTO
Updated: August 2001. Creating and controlling terminal and xterm prompts is discussed, including incorporating standard escape sequences to give username, current working directory, time, etc.
- Battery-Powered, Battery Powered Linux Mini-HOWTO
Updated: June 2003. How to optimize and configure power management on a ready-configured Linux system for use on battery-powered laptops.
- Belarusian-HOWTO, Linux Belarusian HOWTO
Updated: February 2001. Short guide in setting up Belarusian language support in Linux console, X Window System, web-browsers, text editors, etc. Charsets described are windows-1251, iso-8859-5 and koi8-ru. Written in English.
- Belgian-HOWTO, The Belgian HOWTO
Updated: February 2003. How to tweak Linux for Belgian users; lists Linux user groups, businesses and other resources in Belgium.
- Benchmarking-HOWTO, Linux Benchmarking HOWTO
Updated: August 1997. Discusses some issues associated with the benchmarking of Linux systems and presents a basic benchmarking toolkit.
- Beowulf-HOWTO, Beowulf HOWTO
Updated: November 1998. Introduces the Beowulf Supercomputer architecture and provides background information on parallel programming, including links to other more specific documents.
- Boca, Installing Boca Card Mini-HOWTO
Updated: January 2001. Describes the basics of a Boca 16-port serial card (Boca 2016) with Linux.
- BogoMips, BogoMips mini-HOWTO
Updated: April 2002. Some information about BogoMips, compiled from various sources.
- Boot+Root+Raid+LILO, Boot + Root + Raid + Lilo : Software Raid mini-HOWTO
Updated: July 2000. A cookbook for setting up root raid using the 0.90 raidtools for bootable raid mounted on root using standard LILO.
- Bootdisk-HOWTO, The Linux Bootdisk HOWTO
Updated: January 2002. How to design and build your own boot/root diskettes for Linux.
- BootPrompt-HOWTO, The Linux BootPrompt HOWTO
Updated: March 2003. A compilation of all the possible boot time arguments that can be passed to the Linux kernel at boot time. Includes all kernel and device parameters.
- Bridge, Bridging mini-HOWTO
Updated: May 2002. Describes how to setup an ethernet bridge.
- Bridge+Firewall, Linux Bridge + Firewall Mini-HOWTO
Updated: December 1997. A bridge is an intelligent connection wire between two network cards. A firewall is an intelligent insulator.
- Bridge+Firewall+DSL, Bridge + Firewall + DSL Mini-HOWTO
Updated: November 2000. Configuring a Linux system to act as a firewall and bridge with a DSL network connection.
- BRIDGE-STP-HOWTO, Linux Bridge-STP-HOWTO
Updated: January 2001. Describes how to setup a bridge with the recent kernel patches and brctl utility by Lennert Buytenhek. With developer kernel 2.3.47 the new bridging code is part of the mainstream. On 20.06.2000 there are patches for stable kernels 2.2.14 and 2.2.15.
- BTI-PPP, BTinternet PPPd mini-HOWTO
Updated: March 2002. Describes how to setup a modem PPPd link to Btinternet in the UK.
- BTTV, The BTTV Mini-HOWTO
Updated: February 2000. Describes the hardware, software, and procedures needed to use a bt8x8 chipset based frame grabber or TV tuner card under Linux.
- Bzip2, Bzip2 mini-HOWTO
Updated: August 1999. How to use the bzip2 compression program.
- C++Programming-HOWTO, C++ Programming HOWTO
Removed: November 2002. This HOWTO has been removed for review.
- C++-dlopen, C++ dlopen mini HOWTO
Updated: December 2002. How to dynamically load C++ functions and classes using the dlopen API.
- C-C++Beautifier-HOWTO, C-C++ Beautifier HOWTO
Updated: May 2003. Helps you to format (beautify) C/C++ programs so that they are more readable and conform to your site coding standards. Applies to all operating sytems.
- C-editing-with-VIM-HOWTO, C editing with VIM HOWTO
Updated: January 2001. An introduction to editing C and other language files whose syntax is similar like C++ and Java in vi/VIM.
- Cable-Modem, Cable Modem Providers HOWTO
Updated: June 2001. Answers basic questions on how to connect your Linux box to cable modem or cable Internet provider.
- Call-back, call-back mini HOWTO
Updated: October 2001. How to set up call-back by using the Linux system and modem.
- Caudium-HOWTO, Caudium HOWTO
Updated: September 2002. An overview of the Caudium (web) server. Includes information on setup, development, and optimization.
- CD-Distributions-EN-HOWTO, English-language GNU/Linux distributions on CD-ROM
Updated: March 2002. Intended to show prospective users or administrators of a GNU/Linux system the range of choices open to them when deciding on a distribution for the first time. It also aims to help experienced users track the state of the GNU/Linux distributions market. It emphatically does not aim to be a complete list of all GNU/Linux distributions for all platforms and in all languages. The focus is on popular English-language distributions; specifically compiled for the Intel platform; available on CD-ROM; and easily accessible to the first-time user.
Replaces the Distributions-HOWTO
- CDServer-HOWTO, CDServer-HOWTO
Updated: January 2002. Describes the steps and commands you can use to setup your own CD Server using Linux and some built-in Unix commands along with other freely available software packages.
- CD-Writing-HOWTO, CD-Writing HOWTO
Updated: July 2000. Explains how to write CD-ROMs under Linux.
- CDROM-HOWTO, The Linux CD-ROM HOWTO
Updated: July 2001. How to install, configure, and use CD-ROM drives under Linux.
- Chinese-HOWTO, Chinese HOWTO
Updated: June 1998. Demonstrates how to implement Chinese on Linux system, including those common problems encountered while using Chinese, the ways to obtain, and shows how to install and setup a variety of different Chinese software.
- Chroot-BIND-HOWTO, Chroot-BIND HOWTO
Updated: December 2001. Describes installing the BIND 9 nameserver to run in a chroot jail and as a non-root user, to provide added security and minimise the potential effects of a security compromise.
- Chroot-BIND8-HOWTO, Chroot-BIND8 HOWTO
Updated: July 2001. Describes installing the BIND 8 nameserver to run in a chroot jail and as a non-root user, to provide added security and minimise the potential effects of a security compromise.
- Cipe+Masq, The Linux Cipe+Masquerading mini-HOWTO
Updated: April 1999. How to setup a VPN using Cipe on a linux masquerading firewall.
- Clock, The Clock Mini-HOWTO
Updated: November 2000. How to set and keep your computer’s clock on time.
- Clone-HOWTO, HOWTO Clone Disk Images on Linux Booted from a Network
Updated: September 2002. Describes a setup that allows a machine to boot Linux from BOOTP/TFTP, using the Grub boot loader, and save and restore disk and partition images to and from a TFTP server.
- Cluster-HOWTO, Linux Cluster HOWTO
Updated: June 2003. How to set up high-performance Linux computing clusters.
- Coffee, COFFEE-HOWTO
Updated: November 2000. Yes, Linux DOES make coffee, and it tastes good.
- Commercial-HOWTO, Linux Commercial HOWTO
Updated: March 1999. A listing of commercial software and applications which are offered for Linux.
- Commercial-Port-Advocacy, Commercial Port Advocacy mini-HOWTO
Updated: December 1999. Discusses methods that can be used to approach commercial software companies to convince them to port their programs to Linux.
- Compaq-Remote-Insight-Board-HOWTO, HOWTO Use a Compaq Remote Insight Lights Out Edition for a Headless, Remote Linux Installation
Updated: April 2002. Describes the installation of Linux on a headless Compaq ProLiant server with a Compaq Remote Insight Lights-Out Edition card without physical access to the system.
- Compaq-T1500-HOWTO, CompaqT1500-Linux HOWTO
Updated: March 2002. Lists the procedures and tools needed to boot the Compaq T1500, using a Netboot of both the native file system and a generic Linux installation.
- Compressed-TCP, Compressed TCP/IP-Sessions using SSH-like tools
Updated: April 2000. Discusses how to compress data streams.
- Conexant+Rockwell-modem-HOWTO, Conexant/Rockwell modem HOWTO
Updated: March 2002. A guide to using Conexant and Rockwell chipset based Software modems under Linux.
- Config-HOWTO, Configuration HOWTO
Updated: November 2001. Aims at making the fine-tuning of your newly installed Linux box quicker and easier. You will find a set of configurations for the most common applications and services.
- Linux Consultants HOWTO – replaced by the Linux Consultants Guide.
- CPU-Design-HOWTO, CPU Design HOW-TO
Updated: February 2003. Helps people understand how a CPU is designed and manufactured. Contains references to various resources.
- CSPM-HOWTO, Complete System Performance Monitor HOWTO
Updated: June 2003. Provides an overview of the Complete System Performance Monitor, including a description of the product and installation and configuration information.
- CVS-RCS-HOWTO, CVS-RCS HOWTO for Linux (Source Code Control System)
Updated: March 2003. A “practical guide” to very quickly setup a CVS/RCS source code control system.
- Cyrus-IMAP, Cyrus IMAP HOWTO
Updated: October 2000. A comprehensive guide to installing, configuring, and running Cyrus Imap and Cyrus Sasl.
- Danish-HOWTO, The Linux Danish/International HOWTO
Updated: March 2000. How to configure Linux and various Linux applications for Danish locale standards such as keyboard, font, paper-size etc.
- DB2-HOWTO, DB2 Version 7.1 for Linux HOWTO
Updated: September 2002. Explicit instructions on installing DB2 Universal Database Version 7.1 for Linux on the following Intel x86-based distributions: Caldera OpenLinux 2.4, Debian, Red Hat Linux 6.2, SuSE Linux 6.2 and 6.3, and TurboLinux 6.0.
- Debian-and-Windows-Shared-Printing, Debian and Windows Shared Printing mini-HOWTO
Updated: June 2003. Demonstrates how to use command-line tools to configure your Debian system for printing. It explains how to send documents from Linux to Windows printers and how to share Linux printers with Windows PCs.
- Debian-Jigdo, Debian Jigdo mini-HOWTO
Updated: July 2003. Describes why you should use jigdo (a tool for obtaining Debian ISOs), a little bit about how it works and how you use it to get and update Debian ISOs.
- Deciding-Linux-HOWTO, Deciding if Linux is Right for You
Updated: April 2003. This HOWTO to is meant for you if you are considering the Linux operating system, or wondering whether Linux has what you want in comparison to what you are currently using.
- DHCP, DHCP mini-HOWTO
Updated: October 2000. Answers basic questions on how to set up your Linux box to serve as a DHCP server or a DHCP client.
- Diald-HOWTO, Diald HOWTO
Updated: April 2000. Shows some typical scenarios for easy start using Diald. Replaces the Diald mini-HOWTO.
- Diskless-HOWTO, Diskless Nodes HOWTO for Linux
Updated: May 2002. How to set up a diskless Linux box.
- Diskless-root-NFS-HOWTO, Root over nfs clients & server HOWTO
Updated: March 1999. How to setup a server and configure clients for diskless operation from a network.
- Diskless-root-NFS-other-HOWTO, Root over NFS – Another Approach
Updated: September 2001. Another approach to Diskless-root-NFS-HOWTO.
- Distributions-HOWTO, Distributions HOWTO
Archived – Last Update: March 2002. Replaced by the English-language GNU/Linux distributions on CD-ROM. Now lists CD-ROM-based English-language Linux distributions only. Further information on Linux Distributions can be found on the Linux Weekly News (LWN) site: Distributions section.
- Divert-Sockets-mini-HOWTO, Divert Sockets mini-HOWTO
Updated: February 2000. Describes how to get, compile and use FreeBSD divert sockets under Linux 2.2.12.
- DNS-HOWTO, DNS HOWTO
Updated: December 2001. How to become a totally “small time” DNS admin.
- DocBook-Demystification-HOWTO, DocBook Demystification HOWTO
Updated: October 2002. Attempts to clear the fog and mystery surrounding the DocBook markup system and the tools that go with it.
- DocBook-Install, DocBook Install mini-HOWTO
Updated: February 2002. A detailed practical guide for novices to quickly getting DocBook installed and processing SGML files into HTML, PostScript and PDF on a GNU/Linux system.
- DocBook-OpenJade-SGML-XML-HOWTO, DocBook XML/SGML Processing Using OpenJade
Updated: July 2003. Explains setting up OpenJade to process SGML/XML DocBook documents.
- Domain, Setting Up Your New Domain Mini-HOWTO
Updated: October 2000. Outlines the things you will probably have to do when you want to set up a network of computers under your own domain.
- DOS-Win-to-Linux-HOWTO, From DOS/Windows to Linux HOWTO
Updated: August 2000. Written for all the DOS and Windows users who have decided to switch to Linux.
- DOSEMU-HOWTO, The dosemu HOWTO
Updated: December 2002. DOSEMU stands for DOS Emulation, and is an application that enables the Linux OS to run many DOS programs.
- DPT-Hardware-RAID, Linux DPT Hardware RAID mini-HOWTO
Updated: February 2002. How to set up hardware RAID under Linux.
- DSL-HOWTO, DSL HOWTO for Linux
Updated: July 2002. Examines the DSL family of high speed Internet services now being deployed in various markets worldwide. Information is included on the technology behind DSL as well as subscribing, installing, configuring, and troubleshooting.
- DVD-HOWTO, Linux DVD HOWTO
Updated: October 2000. An easy to follow explanation on how to get DVD movie play-back in Linux.
- Ecology-HOWTO, Linux Ecology HOWTO
Updated: February 2003. Discusses ways Linux computers can be used as a means to protect our environment, by using its features to save power or paper.
- Emacs-Beginner-HOWTO, Emacs Beginner’s HOWTO
Updated: March 2001. Introduces Linux users to the Emacs editor.
- Emacspeak-HOWTO, Installing Emacspeak HOWTO
Updated: July 2002. Installation instructions for the Emacspeak audio desktop application for Linux.
- Encourage-Women-Linux-HOWTO, HOWTO Encourage Women in Linux
Updated: October 2002. Explains some of the difficulties and biases women face in the Linux community and examines various strategies for addressing those difficulties in order to encourage more participation by women.
- Enterprise-Java-for-Linux-HOWTO, Enterprise Java for Linux HOWTO
Updated: November 2001. How to set up an Enterprise Java environment on Linux including a JDK, a Web server, supporting Java servlets, accessing a database via JDBC, and supporting Enterprise Java Beans (EJBs).
- Esperanto-HOWTO, Linux-Esperanto-HOWTO
Updated: August 1999.
- Ethernet-HOWTO, Linux Ethernet HOWTO
Updated: October 2000. Information about which ethernet devices can be used for Linux, and how to set them up (focused on the hardware and low level driver aspect of the ethernet cards; see Network HOWTO for software configuration information).
- Ethernet-Bridge-netfilter-HOWTO, Ethernet Bridge + netfilter Howto
Updated: October 2002. Information on setting up an ethernet bridge with a surveying and/or regulating instance into an existing network topology.
- Euro-Char-Support, Euro Character Support mini HOWTO
Updated: April 2002. Describes how to make the Euro character support in GNU/Linux work.
- Event-HOWTO, Event HOWTO
Updated: November 2000. The purpose of this document is to show you how to create good presentations for almost any sort of Linux event.
- Ext2fs-Undeletion, Linux Ext2fs Undeletion mini-HOWTO
Updated: February 1999. Presents a discussion of how to retrieve deleted files from a Second Extended File System.
- Ext2fs-Undeletion-Dir-Struct, Ext2fs Undeletion of Directory Structures
Updated: November 2000. Describes a straight forward way of recovering whole directory structures, instead of file by file, that have been removed by a misplaced rm -rf
- Fax-Server, Linux simple fax printer/server mini-HOWTO
Updated: November 1997. Describes in detail one of the simplest ways to setup a fax server on your Linux system.
- FBB, FBB Packet-radio BBS mini-HOWTO
Updated: July 2003. Covers the installation and use of the most popular amateur packet-radio BBS software FBB.
- FDU, XFree86 Font De-uglification HOWTO
Updated: October 2002. How to fix ugly and unreadable X Window fonts.
- Filesystems-HOWTO, Filesystems HOWTO
Updated: August 2000. About filesystems and accessing filesystems.
- Finnish-HOWTO, Finnish HOWTO
Updated: November 2002. Describes how to localize GNU/Linux for Finnish users (written in Finnish).
- Firewall-HOWTO, Firewall and Proxy Server HOWTO
Updated: February 2000. Designed to describe the basics of firewall systems and give you some detail on setting up both a filtering and proxy firewall on a Linux based system.
- Firewall-Piercing, Firewall Piercing mini-HOWTO
Updated: November 2001. Directions for using ppp over telnet to do network activities transparently through an Internet firewall.
- Font-HOWTO, Font HOWTO
Updated: July 2002. Provides a comprehensive source to act as a starting point for any and all font questions about Linux.
- Framebuffer-HOWTO, Framebuffer HOWTO
Updated: February 2000. How to use the framebuffer devices in Linux with a variety of platforms. Also includes how to set up multi-headed displays.
- Francophones-HOWTO, Le Francophones-HOWTO : Linux & la langue française
Updated: December 2001.
- From-PowerUp-To-Bash-Prompt-HOWTO, From Power Up To Bash Prompt
Updated: November 2000. A brief description of what happens in a Linux system from the time that you turn on the power, to the time that you log in and get a bash prompt.
- Ftape-HOWTO, Ftape HOWTO
Updated: August 1998. Discusses essential do’s and dont’s for the ftape floppy tape driver under Linux. Focuses on the newest version (ftape-4.02 at the time of this writing).
- FTP, FTP mini-HOWTO
Updated: January 2000. How to use ftp clients and servers
- Game-Server-HOWTO, Game Server HOWTO
Updated: April 2003. Explains how to install, configure and maintain servers for various popular multiplayer games.
- GCC-HOWTO, The Linux GCC HOWTO
Updated: May 1999. Covers how to set up the GNU C compiler and development libraries under Linux; gives an overview of compiling, linking, running and debugging programs under it.
- GCC-Frontend-HOWTO, GCC Frontend HOWTO
Updated: August 2002. Creating a new GCC front end.
- German-HOWTO, German HOWTO
Updated: December 2001. Addresses Linux localization issues specific to German users (written in German).
- GIS-GRASS, GIS-GRASS mini-HOWTO
Updated: November 1997. How to acquire, install and configure a powerful scientific public-domain Geographic Information System (GIS): the Geographic Resources Analysis Support System (GRASS).
- Glibc2-HOWTO, Glibc 2 HOWTO
Updated: June 1998. Covers installing and using the GNU C Library version 2 (libc6) on Linux systems.
- Handspring-Visor, Handspring-Visor with Linux mini-HOWTO
Updated: January 2003. Using the Visor with Linux and your USB port.
- Hard-Disk-Upgrade, Hard Disk Upgrade Mini HOWTO
Updated: April 2000. How to copy a Linux system from one hard disk to another.
- Hardware-HOWTO, Linux Hardware Compatibility HOWTO
Updated: November 2002. Lists most of the hardware supported by Linux and helps you locate any necessary drivers.
- Hebrew-HOWTO, The Hebrew HOWTO
Updated: September 1995. How to configure your Linux machine to use Hebrew characters on X-Windows and Virtual Consoles.
- Hellenic-HOWTO, Hellenic HOWTO
Updated: August 1997. Addresses Linux localization issues specific to Greek users (written in Hellenic).
- HighQuality-Apps-HOWTO, Creating Integrated High Quality Linux Applications HOWTO
Updated: August 2002. Tries to clarify some issues and give tips on how to create Linux applications highly integrated to the Operating System, security and easy of use.
- Home-Electrical-Control, Home Electrical Device Control mini HOWTO
Updated: February 2003. Use Linux to control your home electrical devices.
- Home-Network-mini-HOWTO, Red Hat Linux 6.x as an Internet Gateway for a Home Network
Updated: June 2000. Tutorial on configuring Red Hat 6 and related variants to operate as an internet gateway to a small home or office network. Topics covered include masquerading, DNS, DHCP, and basic security.
- Howtos-with-LinuxDoc, Howtos-with-LinuxDoc mini-HOWTO
Updated: March 2001. This is about how to write HOWTOs using the simple LinuxDoc markup. It’s primarily for Linux Documentation Project authors (and future fledging authors who want to get started fast). If you want to use the more advanced DocBook markup (including XML) see the LDP Author Guide.
- HOWTO HOWTO – replaced by the LDP Author Guide.
- HOWTO-INDEX, LDP HOWTO INDEX
Updated: frequently. Index to the Linux HOWTOs as well as other information about the LDP.
- HP-HOWTO, HP HOWTO – Utilisation and Configuration Guide of HP Products under Linux
Updated: December 2001. Describes the use of products available in the Hewlett-Packard (HP) catalog with Linux and some free software.
- i810-HOWTO, i810 with XFree86 4.x HOWTO
Updated: May 2001. Describes getting XFree86 4.x running on Intel’s i810 graphics chipset by using special features of the 2.4.0 kernel.
- IBM7248-HOWTO, Installing GNU/Linux on the IBM RS/6000 43P model 7248 HOWTO
Updated: June 2003. Describes the installation of GNU/Linux on the IBM RS/6000 43P model 7248 series.
- Indic-Fonts-HOWTO, The Indic Fonts HOWTO
Updated: January 2002. A detailed guide on how to install and use Indic scripts (devanagri etc.) using UTF-8 encoding under GNU/Linux.
- INFO-SHEET, Linux Information Sheet
Updated: September 1998. Provides basic information about the Linux operating system, including an explanation of Linux, a list of features, some requirements, and some resources.
- Infrared-HOWTO, Linux Infrared HOWTO
Updated: June 2003. Introduction to Linux and infrared devices and how to use the software provided by the Linux/IrDA project.
- IngresII-HOWTO, Ingres II HOWTO
Updated: September 2001. Helps install the Ingres II Relational Database Management System on Linux.
- Installation-HOWTO, The Linux Installation HOWTO
Updated: July 2002. How to obtain and install Linux software. It is the first document which a new Linux user should read to get started.
- Install-From-ZIP, Linux Install From PPA-Zip drive mini-HOWTO
Updated: April 1998. How to install Linux from a parallel port zip drive using the Slackware Linux distribution.
- Install-Strategies, Linux Installation Strategies
Updated: May 2001. Discusses a few installation strategies for those who intend to dual-boot between Windows and Linux.
- Intkeyb, How to setup international keyboard in X Windows
Updated: November 2002. This xmodmap and kimap solutions will work for you in setting up any international keyboard for (Debian, RedHat, Mandrake, Corel) Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD and possibly every Unix that uses Xfree86 and KDE.
- Intranet-Server-HOWTO, The Linux Intranet Server HOWTO
Updated: December 2001. How to setup an Intranet using Linux as the server which binds Unix, Netware, NT and Windows together.
- IO-Perf-HOWTO, I/O Performance HOWTO
Updated: May 2002. Covers information on available patches for the 2.4 kernel that will improve the I/O performance of your Linux operating system.
- IO-Port-Programming, Linux I/O port programming mini-HOWTO
Updated: December 2000. Describes programming hardware I/O ports and waiting for small periods of time in user-mode Linux programs running on the Intel x86 architecture.
- IP-Alias, Setting Up IP Aliasing On A Linux Machine Mini-HOWTO
Updated: January 2001. How to set up and run IP aliasing on a Linux box.
- IPCHAINS-HOWTO, Linux IPCHAINS HOWTO
Updated: July 2000. How to obtain, install and configure the enhanced IP firewalling chains software for Linux, and some ideas on how you might use them.
- IP-Masquerade-HOWTO, Linux IP Masquerade HOWTO
Updated: June 2003. How to enable the Linux IP Masquerade feature on a given Linux host.
- IPMasquerading+Napster, IPMasquerading+Napster mini-HOWTO
Updated: April 2000. Present a way to allow users behind an IPMasq’d system to use Napster.
- IP-Subnetworking, IP Sub-Networking mini-HOWTO
Updated: August 2001. Describes why and how to subnetwork an IP network – that is using a single A, B or C Class network number to function correctly on several interconnected networks.
- IPX-HOWTO, Linux IPX HOWTO
Updated: May 1998. How to obtain, install and configure various tools available for the Linux operating system that use the Linux kernel IPX protocol support.
- IRC, Linux IRC mini-HOWTO
Updated: November 2002. Describes the basics of IRC and respective applications for Linux.
- ISP-Connectivity, ISP-Connectivity mini-HOWTO
Archived – Last Update: November 2001. How to setup PPP, connect up to your ISP, configure mail and news, get a permanent IP (if available), get a domain name, and have a bona fide system running in a little over thirty minutes.
- ISP-Hookup-HOWTO, ISP-Hookup HOWTO
Updated: March 1998. How to use Linux to connect to an Internet Service Provider via a dial-up modem TCP/IP connection (basic dial-up procedure and IP establishment, email and news handling is covered).
- ISP-Setup-RedHat-HOWTO, “Pocket” ISP based on RedHat Linux
Updated: January 2001. Outlines the setup of a single RedHat box for dial-ins,virtual web hosting, virtual email, POP3 and ftp servers.
- Italian-HOWTO, Linux Italian HOWTO
Updated: November 1998. Addresses Linux localization issues specific to Italian users (written in Italian).
- Jabber-Server-Farming-HOWTO, Jabber Server Farming How-To
Updated: June 2002. Provide Jabber admins a look into the present and future of Jabber Server Farming.
- Java-CGI-HOWTO, Java CGI HOWTO
Updated: December 1998. Explains how to set up your server to allow CGI programs written in Java and how to use Java to write CGI programs.
- Java-Decompiler-HOWTO, Java Decompiler HOWTO
Updated: September 2002. Will help you to de-compile the Java class programs.
- JavaStation-HOWTO, Linux on the Sun JavaStation NC HOWTO
Updated: October 2001. Describes how to enable the GNU/Linux OS on the Sun JavaStation NC.
- Jaz-Drive-HOWTO, Jaz-drive HOWTO
Updated: January 2000. Covers the configuration and use of the 1Gb and 2Gb Iomega Jaz drives under Linux.
- K7s5a-HOWTO, The Elite’s K7s5a mainboard HOWTO
Updated: November 2002. Describes how to use Elite’s K7s5a board with Linux.
- KDE-GUI-Login-Configuration-HOWTO, KDE GUI Login Configuration HOWTO
Updated: April 2003. A tutorial on customizing the GUI login screen.
- KDE-Kiosk-Mode, KDE-Kiosk-Mode HOWTO
Archived – Last Update: September 2002. Describes how to invoke the kiosk mode of KDE.
Further information can be found at: http://www.brigadoon.de/peter/kde/.
- Kernel-HOWTO, The Linux Kernel HOWTO
Updated: July 2003. A detailed guide to kernel configuration, compilation, upgrades, and troubleshooting for ix86-based systems.
- KernelAnalysis-HOWTO, KernelAnalysis-HOWTO
Updated: March 2003. Explains some things about the Linux Kernel, such as the most important components, how they work, and so on.
- Kerneld, The Linux kerneld mini-HOWTO
Updated: May 2000. Explains how you can use the kerneld function in the Linux kernels.
- Keyboard-and-Console-HOWTO, The Linux keyboard and console HOWTO
Updated: October 2002. Contains some information about the Linux (v2.0) keyboard and console, and the use of non-ASCII characters.
- KickStart-HOWTO, RedHat Linux KickStart HOWTO
Updated: January 1999. Briefly describes how to use the RedHat Linux KickStart system to rapidly install large numbers of identical Linux boxes.
- Kiosk-HOWTO, Kiosk HOWTO
Updated: October 1999. Provides a guide for setting up a WWW-based kiosk using Linux, X11R6, FVWM2, Netscape Navigator 4.X, and a customized trackball.
- Kodak-Digitalcam-HOWTO, Kodak Digital Camera HOWTO
Updated: January 2001. Getting a Kodak digital camera working under GNU/Linux.
- Laptop-HOWTO, Linux Laptop HOWTO
Updated: February 2003. Contains a concise survey of laptop-related (Linux content) documents, such as installation methods for laptops (via PCMCIA, without CD drive, etc.), laptop hardware features, and configurations for different (network) environments.
- Large-Disk-HOWTO, Large Disk HOWTO
Updated: August 2001. All about disk geometry and the 1024 cylinder limit for disks.
- Latvian-HOWTO, Latvian HOWTO
Updated: June 2002. Describes GNU/Linux localization issues specific for Latvian users (written in Latvian).
- LBX, The LBX mini-HOWTO
Updated: December 1997. LBX (Low Bandwidth X) is an X server extension which performs compression on the X protocol.
- LDAP-HOWTO, LDAP Linux HOWTO
Updated: April 2003. Information about installing, configuring, running and maintaining a LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) Server on a Linux machine.
- LDAP-Implementation-HOWTO, LDAP Implementation HOWTO
Updated: March 2001. Describes the technical aspects of storing application data in a LDAP server. It focuses on the configuration of various applications to make them LDAP-aware.
- LDP-Reviewer-HOWTO, Linux Documentation Project Reviewer HOWTO
Updated: May 2001. This document will help you review LDP documentation. It includes procedures, tips and techniques to make the process easier.
- Leased-Line, Leased line mini-HOWTO
Updated: August 2000. Configuring your modem and pppd to use a 2 wire twisted pair leased line.
- Lego, Lego Mindstorm with Linux Mini-HOWTO
Updated: October 2000. Intended to serve as a very brief introduction to the options available for using the Lego Group’s Mindstorm Robotics Invention System (RIS) from within Linux.
- Lex-YACC-HOWTO, Lex and YACC primer/HOWTO
Updated: April 2002. Helps you get started using Lex and YACC.
- LILO, LILO mini-HOWTO
Updated: June 2003. Lilo (LILO) is the most used Linux Loader for the x86 flavour of Linux. This describes some typical Lilo installations. Intended as a supplement to the Lilo User’s Guide.
- LILO-crash-rescue-HOWTO, LILO, Linux Crash Rescue HOWTO
Updated: May 2003. Discusses methods to recover from Linux system failures.
- Linksys-Blue-Box-Router-HOWTO, Linksys Blue Box Router HOWTO
Updated: July 2003. Hints and tips for managing Linksys routers from a Linux system, including the firmware upgrade procedure.
- Linmodem-HOWTO, Linmodem-Mini-HOWTO
Updated: February 2001. Describes Linmodem (winmodem hardware) support under Linux.
- Linux+DOS+Win95+OS2, Linux-DOS-Win95-OS2 mini-HOWTO
Updated: November 1997. Presents a procedure to make 4 operating systems co-exist on a single hard disk.
- Linux-Complete-Backup-and-Recovery-HOWTO, Linux Complete Backup and Recovery HOWTO
Updated: April 2003. A step-by-step tutorial on how to back up a Linux computer so as to be able to make a bare metal recovery, and how to make that bare metal recovery. Includes some related scripts. “Bare metal recovery” is the process of rebuilding a computer after a catastrophic failure.
- Linux-Crash-HOWTO, Linux Crash HOWTO
Updated: January 2002. Describes the installation and usage of the LKCD (Linux Kernel Crash Dump) package.
- Linux+FreeBSD, The Linux+FreeBSD mini-HOWTO
Updated: March 2000. How to use Linux and FreeBSD on the same system.
- Linux From Scratch HOWTO – replaced by the Linux From Scratch guide.
- Linux-Gamers-HOWTO, The Linux Gamers’ HOWTO
Updated: May 2003. A stepping stone to get the most common problems resolved and to give people the knowledge to begin thinking intelligently about what is going on with their games.
- Linux-Init-HOWTO, Linux 2.4.x Initialization for IA-32 HOWTO
Updated: May 2001. A description of the Linux 2.4 kernel initialization sequence on IA-32 processors.
- Linux+IPv6-HOWTO, Linux IPv6 HOWTO
Updated: June 2003. The goal of this HOWTO is to answer both basic and advanced questions about IPv6 on the Linux operating system. This HOWTO will provide the reader with enough information to install, configure, and use IPv6 applications on Linux machines.
- Linux-Modem-Sharing Modem sharing mini-HOWTO
Updated: August 2001. Describes how to setup a Linux system in order to share a modem attached to this system with other systems over a TCP/IP network.
- Linux-Promise-RAID1-HOWTO, Linux Migration to Promise RAID Card HOWTO
Updated: March 2003. Outlines the steps of how to migrate an existing (Red Hat) Linux install onto a Promise TX2 Card for the purposes of RAID-1 Mirroring.
- Linux+NT-Loader, NT OS Loader + Linux mini-HOWTO
Updated: September 1997. Describes the use of the Windows NT boot loader to start Linux. This procedures have been tested with Windows NT 4.0 WS and Linux 2.0.
- Linux+Solaris, Linux+Solaris mini-HOWTO
Updated: April 2000. Describes how to use Solaris and Linux together on one machine. It addresses common questions like multibooting and file-sharing.
- Linux+Windows-HOWTO, Linux + Windows HOWTO
Updated: December 2001. Aimed at assisting those who wish to use the features of both Linux and Windows on the same host.
- Linux+Win95, Linux + Windows 95 mini-HOWTO
Updated: April 2001. Details how to install Linux on a machine that currently runs Windows 95.
- Linux+WinNT, Linux+WindowsNT mini-HOWTO
Updated: May 2002. Covers some ways on how to install both Linux and Windows NT on the same computer and how to boot either of them from within LILO menu.
- Linux+Win9x+Grub-HOWTO, Linux+Win9x+Grub HOWTO
Updated: January 2002. How to use the GRUB bootloader to turn your computer into a Windows + Linux dual boot machine, without affecting your current Linux installation.
- Linux+XFS-HOWTO, Linux + XFS HOWTO : Linux on Steroids
Updated: May 2002. Describes how to build a Linux system that runs on top of the SGI XFS journaling filesystem.
- LinuxDoc+Emacs+Ispell-HOWTO, LinuxDoc+Emacs+Ispell HOWTO
Updated: February 1998. Aimed at writers and translators of Linux HOWTOs or any other paper for the Linux Documentation Project. Gives hints at using tools including Emacs and Ispell.
- Linuxdoc-Reference, Linuxdoc Reference – An Introduction to the linuxdoc DTD
Updated: January 2000. Intended to be a reference for the SGML document type definition linuxdoc.
- LinuxGL-QuakeWorld-mini-HOWTO, LinuxGL (GLX) QuakeWorld Client compile mini-HOWTO
Updated: January 2001. How to get the OpenGL/GLX Linux QuakeWorld client compiled and working on systems with standard OpenGL hardware acceleration support.
- Loadlin+Win95-98-ME, The Loadlin+Win95/98/ME mini-HOWTO
Updated: February 2001. Describes how to use Loadlin with Windows 95/98/ME to boot to Linux.
- Loopback-Encrypted-Filesystem-HOWTO, Loopback Encrypted Filesystem HOWTO
Updated: November 1999. Explains how to setup and then use a filesystem that, when mounted by a user, dynamically and transparently encrypts its contents.
- Loopback-Root-FS, The Loopback Root Filesystem HOWTO
Updated: September 1999. How to use the Linux loopback device to create a Linux native filesystem format installation that can be run from a DOS partition without re-partitioning.
- Lotus-DominoR5, Lotus Domino R5 for Linux mini-HOWTO
Updated: January 2003. Instructions on installing Lotus Domino R5 for Linux on the Intel x86-based distributions of Mandrake Linux 8.1 and SuSE 7.3 Professional.
- LVM-HOWTO, Logical Volume Manager HOWTO
Updated: February 2003. Describes how to build, install, and configure LVM for Linux.
- Mac-Terminal, The MacTerminal mini-HOWTO
Updated: November 1997. How to configure the Mac for use as a Linux terminal.
- Mail-Administrator-HOWTO, The Linux Electronic Mail Administrator HOWTO
Updated: January 2000. Describes the setup, care and feeding of Electronic Mail (e-mail) under Linux. Primarily intended for administrators.
- Mail-Queue, Linux Mail-Queue mini-HOWTO
Updated: December 2001. Configuration changes necessary to make sendmail deliver local mail now; while stashing remote mail in the queue until “I Say So”.
- Mail-User-HOWTO, The Linux Mail User HOWTO
Updated: February 2003. An introduction to the world of electronic mail (email) under Linux. Focuses on user-level issues and typical configurations for Linux home and small-business machines connected to the net via an ISP.
- Mail2News, Mail2News mini-HOWTO
Updated: November 2000. How to feed a mailing list to a news server.
- Majordomo-MajorCool-HOWTO, Majordomo and MajorCool HOWTO
Updated: November 2000. Intended to guide a user through an installation of the Majordomo Mailing List Software and MajorCool (utility for managing Majordomo lists via a CGI script).
- Man-Page, Linux Man Page HOWTO
Updated: September 2002. Explains what you should bear in mind when you are going to write on-line documentation — a so called man page — that you want to make accessible via the man(1) command.
- Masquerading-Simple-HOWTO, Masquerading Made Simple HOWTO
Updated: July 2002. Describes how to enable the Linux IP Masquerade feature on a given Linux host. Should be used as a complement to the the IP-Masquerade-HOWTO.
- Medicine-HOWTO, Linux Medicine-HOWTO
Updated: April 2003. Some pointers to Linux software (mostly GPLed) for the medical sciences.
- META-FAQ, Linux Meta-FAQ
Updated: October 1997. Mainly a list of valuable sources of information for Linux. Use these sources if you want to learn more about Linux, or have problems and need help.
- MGR-HOWTO, The MGR Window System HOWTO
Archived – Last Update: May 1996. Information on the installation, configuration and running of the MGR Window System.
- MIDI-HOWTO, The Linux MIDI-HOWTO
Updated: May 2002. Describes the hardware, software and procedures needed to play and sequence using MIDI under Linux.
- MILO-HOWTO, Alpha Miniloader HOWTO
Updated: November 2000. Describes the Alpha Linux Miniloader (also known as MILO), a program for Alpha-based systems that can be used to initialize the machine and load Linux.
- MindTerm-SSH-HOWTO, Encrypted Tunnels using SSH and MindTerm HOWTO
Updated: June 2001. How to use SSH and the Java-based program MindTerm to create quick, secure, and reliable VPN-like tunnels over insecure networks.
- MIPS-HOWTO, Linux/MIPS HOWTO
Updated: August 2002. Describes the MIPS port of the Linux operating system, common problems and their solutions, availability and more.
- MMBase, MMBase Mini-HOWTO: Installation on Debian Woody
Updated: May 2002. Describes how to set up MMBase on a Debian GNU/Linux (Woody) system.
- Modem-HOWTO, Modem HOWTO
Updated: June 2003. Help with selecting, connecting, configuring, trouble-shooting, and understanding modems for a PC.
- Modem-Dialup-NT-HOWTO, Modem-Dialup-NT HOW-TO
Updated: June 2002. Helps you to setup a modem to do Dial-up Networking with a remote server like Windows NT RAS or Linux RAS (Remote Access Server).
- Module-HOWTO, Linux Loadable Kernel Module HOWTO
Updated: July 2003. Explains what Linux loadable kernel modules (LKMs) are, and how to use and create them.
- Modules, Linux Modules Installation mini-HOWTO
Updated: n/a How to successfully set up Linux with modules configured and working.
- Mozilla-Optimization, Mozilla Optimization Mini-HOWTO
Updated: January 2003. How to make configuration and source level customizations of Mozilla to make it more suitable as a primary browser for Linux and X Windows.
- MP3-HOWTO, The Linux MP3 HOWTO
Updated: December 2001. Describes the hardware, software and procedures needed to encode, play and stream MP3 sound files under Linux.
- MP3-Box-HOWTO, MP3 Player Box HOWTO
Updated: April 2001. Describes how to build, configure, install, and use a custom MP3 player box. It lists the necessary hardware and answers a number of frequently asked questions.
- MP3-CD-Burning, Linux MP3 CD Burning mini-HOWTO
Updated: April 2002. A complete recipe for creating audio CDs from MP3 files.
- MSSQL6-Openlink-PHP-ODBC, Connecting to MS SQL 6.x+ via Openlink/PHP/ODBC mini-HOWTO
Updated: July 1997. How to connect to MS SQL 6.x+ database server via ODBC functions of PHP3 (3.0.1x or above) compiled with Openlink drivers under Linux.
- Multi-Disk-HOWTO, HOWTO: Multi Disk System Tuning
Updated: May 2002. How best to use multiple disks and partitions for a Linux system.
- Multiboot-with-GRUB, Multiboot with GRUB Mini-HOWTO
Updated: January 2001. How to install Windows 98, Windows 2000, DOS and Linux using GRUB.
- Multiboot-with-LILO, Win95 + WinNT + Linux multiboot using LILO mini-HOWTO
Updated: March 1998. How to multiboot between Windows 95, Windows NT, and Linux.
- Multicast-HOWTO, Multicast over TCP/IP HOWTO
Updated: March 1998. Tries to cover most aspects related to multicast over TCP/IP networks.
- Multi-Distro-Dev, Development for Multiple Linux Distributions mini-HOWTO
Updated: August 2002. Outlines a quick hack to aid in developing and testing user-space programs for multiple Linux distributions.
- MultiOS-HOWTO, Managing Multiple Operating Systems HOWTO
Updated: February 2000. Covers the procedures for using removable hard disks to install and manage multiple alternative operating systems while leaving a single fixed disk to permanently house and protect the primary operating system.
- Mutt-GnuPG-PGP-HOWTO, Mutt-i, GnuPG and PGP HOWTO
Updated: February 2000. Briefly explains how to configure Mutt-i, PGP and GnuPG in its different versions (2.6.x, 5.x and GnuPG).
- NC-HOWTO, Linux Netstation HOWTO
Updated: January 2003. Describes how to hook up a IBM Netstation to your local network using a Linux box as server.
- NCD-HOWTO, Linux NCD mini-HOWTO
Updated: December 2001. Describes how to hook up a NCD ThinSTAR to your local network using a Linux box as server.
- NCD-X-Terminal, NCD X terminal mini HOWTO
Updated: March 2000. How to connect an NCD X terminal to a UNIX host.
- NCURSES-Programming-HOWTO, NCURSES Programming HOWTO
Updated: June 2002. An “All in One” guide for programming with ncurses and its sister libraries.
- Net-HOWTO, Linux Networking HOWTO
Updated: December 2000. Information about networking for Linux (relates only to version 4 of the Linux Networking Kernel or more specifically kernel releases 2.x and 2.2.x).
Previously called the Net 3/4 and Net-3 HOWTOs.
- NetMeeting-HOWTO, Linux NETMEETING HOWTO
Updated: January 2002. Describes how to make Microsoft NetMeeting interoperate with Linux.
- Netrom-Node, Netrom-Node mini-Howto
Updated: October 1998. How to setup the ax25-utilities package for Amateur Radio such that it makes Netrom Nodes for the Node program and the BBS software from John-Paul Roubelat, F6FBB.
- Netscape+Proxy, HOWTO for inHouse IntraNet
Updated: August 1997. Describes the procedure to set up a NETWORK (INTRANET) at your home. Then we shall setup the network such that NETSCAPE Clients can be used on ANY machine to access the internet. . .
- Network-boot-HOWTO, Network boot and exotic root HOWTO
Updated: April 2002. Explains how to quickly setup a linux server to provide what diskless linux clients require to get up and running, using an IP network.
- Network-Install-HOWTO, Network Install HOWTO
Updated: September 2002. Describes how to install Linux over a Local Area Network (LAN).
- Networking-Overview-HOWTO, The Linux Networking Overview HOWTO
Updated: July 2000. Overview of the networking capabilities of the Linux Operating System; provides pointers for further information and implementation details.
- News-Leafsite, News Leafsite mini-HOWTO
Updated: December 2001. This will help you to configure a small leafsite for Usenet News using the free software package Leafnode.
- NFS-HOWTO, NFS HOWTO
Updated: August 2002. How to set up NFS clients and servers.
- NFS-Root, NFS-Root mini-HOWTO
Updated: September 2002. How to setup a “disc-less” Linux workstation, which mounts it’s root filesystems via NFS.
- NFS-Root-Client-mini-HOWTO, NFS-Root-Client Mini-HOWTO
Updated: February 1999. How to create client root directories on a server that is using NFS Root mounted clients.
- NIS-HOWTO, The Linux NIS(YP)/NYS/NIS+ HOWTO
Updated: July 2003. How to configure Linux as NIS(YP) or NIS+ client and how to install as a NIS server.
- NLM-HOWTO, NetWare Loadable Module Programming HOWTO
Updated: August 2000. How to develop NetWare Loadable Modules under Linux, using GNU CC and nlmconv(1) from GNU binutils.
- Nvidia-OpenGL-Configuration, Nvidia OpenGL Configuration mini-HOWTO
Updated: January 2002. How to install the OpenGL drivers for Nvidia graphics cards on Linux. Also explains how to install XFree86, the OpenGL Utility library (part of Mesa), the OpenGL Utility Toolkit (glut), etc.
- Offline-Mailing, Linux off-line mailing method
Updated: June 1998. Use your linux mailing system offline, receive mail for multiple users with only one email address, and without being 24-24 online.
- Online-Troubleshooting-HOWTO, Online Troubleshooting Resources HOWTO
Updated: October 2002. Directs Linux users to resources available on the Internet that provide access to a vast amount of Linux-related information useful in troubleshooting problems.
- openMosix-HOWTO, The openMosix HOWTO
Updated: May 2003. A brief description to openMosix, a software package that turns a network of GNU/Linux computers into a computer cluster.
- Optical-Disk-HOWTO, Linux Optical Disk HOWTO
Updated: May 2003. Describes the installation and configuration of optical disk drives for Linux.
- Oracle-7-HOWTO, Oracle 7 Database HOWTO
Updated: August 1998. A guide to installing and configuring the Oracle 7 Database Server on a Linux system.
- Oracle-8-HOWTO, Oracle 8i for Linux Installation HOWTO
Updated: July 2003. A guide to installing and configuring the Oracle 8i Enterprise Edition for Linux.
- Oracle8-on-RH7X-HOWTO, Oracle 8i on Linux RH7.X Installation HOWTO
Updated: July 2002. Following this HOWTO you should be able to get “Oracle 8i, version 8.1.7, Enterprise Edition for Linux” installed on a RedHat 7.X distribution.
- Oracle-9i-RH8-and-RH9-HOWTO, Oracle 9i under RedHat Linux 8.x and 9.x – Simple Installation HOWTO
Updated: June 2003. Describes an example of an Oracle 9i Standard Edition database installation under RedHat Linux 8.x and 9.x.
- Outlook-to-Unix-Mailbox, MS Outlook to Unix Mailbox Conversion mini HOWTO
Updated: January 2002. Covers conversion of old email in Microsoft Outlook (not Outlook Express!) to typical Unix file formats.
- PA-RISC-Linux-Boot-HOWTO, PA-RISC/Linux Boot HOWTO
Updated: October 2002. Outlines the procedures for getting the current PA-RISC/Linux development kernel to boot on your PA-RISC system. It also explains the functions of PALO, the kernel loader for PA/Linux.
- Pager, The Linux Alphanumeric Pager Gateway Mini-HOWTO
Updated: July 2001. Discusses the compilation and installation of e-mail to Pager gateway.
- PalmOS-HOWTO, Palm OS Desktop HOWTO
Updated: March 2002. Explains how to use your Palm OS device with a Linux system.
- Parallel-Processing-HOWTO, Linux Parallel Processing HOWTO
Updated: January 1998. Discusses the four basic approaches to parallel processing that are available to Linux users: SMP Linux systems, clusters of networked Linux systems, parallel execution using multimedia instructions (i.e., MMX), and attached (parallel) processors hosted by a Linux system.
- Partition, Linux Partition HOWTO
Updated: July 2001. Teaches you how to plan and layout disk space for your Linux system.
- Partition-Rescue, Partition Rescue mini HOWTO
Updated: August 2002. Describes how to rescue your Linux partition if it has been deleted.
- Path, PATH HOWTO
Updated: November 1997. Describes common tricks and problems with Unix / Linux environment variables, especially with PATH variable.
- PCI-HOWTO, Linux PCI-HOWTO
Updated: June 2001. Information on what works with Linux and PCI-boards and what does not.
- PCMCIA-HOWTO, Linux PCMCIA HOWTO
Updated: February 2002. How to install and use PCMCIA Card Services for Linux.
- PCTel-MicroModem-Config, PCTel HSP MicroModem Configuration mini-HOWTO
Updated: December 2002. Make your PCTel HSP MicroModem work in Linux.
- phhttpd-HOWTO, PHHTTPD
Updated: April 2001. phhttpd is an HTTP accelerator. It serves fast static HTTP fetches from a local file-system and passes slower dynamic requests back to a waiting server.
- PHP-HOWTO, PHP HOWTO
Removed: October 2002. This HOWTO has been removed for review. Please visit the official PHP site for information on this topic.
- PHP-Nuke-HOWTO, PHP-Nuke: Management and Programming
Updated: May 2003. A definitive document on PHP-Nuke (Content Managment System).
- Pine-Exchange, Pine-Exchange mini-HOWTO
Updated: March 2002. Documents the configuration of the Pine email client to be used with a Microsoft Exchange Server.
- PLIP, LINUX PLIP mini-HOWTO
Updated: March 1998. Will hopefully let you build and use a Parallel Line Interface Protocol.
- PLIP-Install-HOWTO, PLIP Install HOWTO
Updated: July 2002. How to install a Gnu/Linux distribution on a computer without Ethernet card, nor cdrom, but just a local floppy drive and a remote nfs server attached by a Null-Modem parallel cable.
- Plug-and-Play-HOWTO, The Linux Plug-and-Play HOWTO
Updated: September 2002. How to get your Linux system to support Plug-and-Play.
- Polish-HOWTO, Polish HOWTO
Updated: February 1999. Addresses Linux localization issues specific to Polish users (written in Polish).
- PortSlave, PortSlave How-To using the Linux Router
Updated: October 2000. A beginning document for using Portslave with the Linux router.
- Portuguese-HOWTO, Portuguese HOWTO
Updated: December 1999. Addresses Linux localization issues specific to Portuguese users (written in Portuguese).
- Postfix-Cyrus-Web-cyradm-HOWTO, Postfix-Cyrus-Web-cyradm-HOWTO
Updated: March 2003. Guides you through the installation of the Postfix mail transportation agent (MTA), the Cyrus IMAP server.
- PostgreSQL-HOWTO, Database-SQL-RDBMS HOWTO for Linux
Removed: January 2002. This HOWTO has been removed for review. Please visit the official PostgreSQL site for information on this topic.
- PPP-HOWTO, Linux PPP HOWTO
Updated: July 2000. How to connect your Linux PC to a PPP server, how to use PPP to link two LANs together; provides one method of setting up your Linux computer as a PPP server. The document also provides help in debugging non-functional PPP connections.
- ppp-ssh, VPN PPP-SSH Mini-HOWTO
Updated: January 2002. A PPP-SSH VPN is probably the easiest type of VPN to set up. It uses nothing more than the very common PPP and SSH utilities to form an encrypted network tunnel between two hosts.
- Pre-Installation-Checklist, GNU/Linux Pre-Installation Checklist
Updated: November 2000. An aide-memoire which may make installation of Linux a pleasant experience for you.
- Post-Installation-Checklist, GNU/Linux Post-Installation Checklist
Updated: June 2001. Provides a checklist for steps you should take immediately after installing GNU/Linux.
- Printing-HOWTO, The Linux Printing HOWTO
Updated: September 2000. A collection of information on how to generate, preview, print and fax anything under Linux (and other Unices in general).
- Printing-Usage-HOWTO, The Linux Printing Usage HOWTO
Updated: February 1998. How to use the print system under Linux.
- Print2Win, The Linux Print2Win mini-HOWTO
Updated: July 2002. Contains the general configuration to get linux printing to a Windows print share.
- Process-Accounting, Enabling Process Accounting on Linux
Updated: February 2001. Describes the basics of enabling process accounting on Linux.
- Programming-Languages, Programming Languages mini-HOWTO
Updated: July 2000. A brief comparison of major programming languages for Linux and major libraries for creating graphical user interfaces (GUIs) under Linux.
- Program-Library-HOWTO, Program Library HOWTO
Updated: April 2003. This HOWTO for programmers discusses how to create and use program libraries on Linux. This includes static libraries, shared libraries, and dynamically loaded libraries.
- Proxy-ARP-Subnet, ProxyARP Subnetting HOWTO
Updated: August 2000. Discusses using Proxy Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) with subnetting in order to make a small network of machines visible on another Internet Protocol (IP) subnet.
- Psion-HOWTO, Linux and Psion HOWTO
Updated: November 2000. How to use Psion palmtops with Linux. Does not cover running Linux on a Psion palmtop.
- Public-Web-Browser, Linux web browser station
Updated: October 2000. Describes the setup of Internet kiosk-type system based on Linux to be deployed to provide public Internet/webmail access.
- Querying-libiptc-HOWTO, Querying libiptc HOWTO
Updated: April 2002. Explains how to use the libiptc library included in the iptables package and how to use programs to query the internal structures.
- Qmail+MH, mini-HOWTO install qmail with MH
Updated: March 1998. Installation experiences to offer some help to other users who wish to use this combination for their email.
- Qmail-VMailMgr-Courier-imap-HOWTO, Qmail VMailMgr and Courier-Imap HOWTO
Updated: March 2002. Building a mail server that will support virtual domain hosting and provide smtp, pop3 and imap services, using a powerful alternative to sendmail.
- Quake-HOWTO, Linux Quake HOWTO
Updated: December 1998. How to install, run and troubleshoot Quake, QuakeWorld and Quake II on an Intel Linux system.
- Quota, Quota mini-HOWTO
Updated: April 2002. How to enable file system quota on a Linux host, assigning quota for users and groups, as well as the usage of miscellaneous quota commands.
- RCS, The RCS mini-HOWTO
Updated: August 1997. Covers basic installation and usage of RCS, the GNU Revision Control System, under Linux.
- Reading-List-HOWTO, The Linux Reading List HOWTO
Updated: June 2001. Lists the books the author thinks are most valuable to a person trying to learn Unix (especially Linux) top to bottom.
- RedHat-CD-HOWTO, Burning a RedHat CD HOWTO
Updated: March 2003. How to make your own CDs from the Red Hat Linux distribution equivalent to the ones commercially available from Red Hat (up to and including RH release 8.0).
- Remote-Boot, Linux Remote-Boot mini-HOWTO: Configuring Remote-Boot Workstations with Linux, DOS, Windows 95/98 and Windows NT
Updated: February 1999. How to set up a very robust and secure server-based configuration for a cluster of PCs, allowing each client to choose at boot-time which operating system to run.
- Remote-Bridging, Remote Bridging with IP Tunnels mini-HOWTO
Updated: May 2002. Describes how to unite two separate ethernet LANs with an IP tunnel between them.
- Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO, Remote Serial Console HOWTO
Updated: March 2003. Covers how to set up your hardware to use a serial console.
- Remote-X-Apps, Remote X Apps mini-HOWTO
Updated: December 2001. How to run remote X applications.
- Root-RAID-HOWTO, Root RAID HOWTO cookbook
Updated: July 2000. This document only applies to the OLD raidtools, versions 0.50 and under. The workarounds and solutions addressed in this HOWTO have largely been made obsolete by the vast improvment in the 0.90 raidtools and accompanying kernel patch to the 2.0.37, 2.2x and 2.3x series kernels. You may find the detailed descriptions useful, particularly if you plan to run root raid or use initrd.
original description: A cookbook for creating a root mounted raid filesystem and companion fallback rescue system using linux initrd. Step-by-step instructions for both raid1 and raid5 md0 devices.
- RPM-HOWTO, RPM HOWTO – RPM at Idle
Updated: November 1999. RPM is the RPM Package Manager. It is an open packaging system available for anyone to use. It allows users to take source code for new software and package it into source and binary form such that binaries can be easily installed and tracked and source can be rebuilt easily. It also maintains a database of all packages and their files that can be used for verifying packages and querying for information about files and/or packages.
- RPM-for-Unix-HOWTO, RPM-for-Unix HOW-TO
Updated: March 2002. This document will help you to setup the Redhat RPM program on various Unix operating systems.
- RPM+Slackware, RPM+Slackware Mini-Howto
Updated: April 1998. How to get RPM installed and working properly under Slackware.
- RTLinux-HOWTO, RTLinux HOWTO
Updated: August 2002. RTLinux Installation and writing realtime programs in Linux.
- Samba-Authenticated-Gateway-HOWTO, Samba Authenticated Gateway HOWTO
Updated: July 2003. How to build a Firewall/Gateway with rules set on user basis having the users authenticated by a Samba Primary Domain Controller.
- Sat-HOWTO, Sat (Satellite Technology) HOWTO
Updated: July 2002. Investigates “State of Art” Sat connections in a Linux environment; how to get them faster and how to share them with many clients.
- Saving-Space, Saving Space mini-HOWTO
Updated: April 1999. Directions for squeezing your Linux installation into the least possible space. Particularly aimed at notebook users.
- SCSI-2.4-HOWTO, The Linux 2.4 SCSI subsystem HOWTO
Updated: May 2003. Describes the SCSI subsystem as the Linux kernel enters the 2.4 production series. An external view of the SCSI subsystem is the main theme. Material is included to help the system administration of the Linux SCSI subsystem.
- SCSI-Generic-HOWTO, The Linux SCSI Generic (sg) HOWTO
Updated: May 2002. Describes the SCSI Generic driver (sg) found in the Linux 2.4 production series of kernels. Focuses on the interface and characteristics of the driver that application writers may need to know.
- SCSI-Programming-HOWTO, The Linux SCSI programming HOWTO
Archived – Last Update: May 1996. Deals with programming the Linux generic SCSI interface.
Check the SCSI-Generic-HOWTO for more current information.
- Secure-CVS-Pserver, Secure CVS Pserver Mini-HOWTO
Updated: March 2003. Will help you set up a more secure CVS Pserver for anonymous CVS access.
- Secure-POP+SSH, Secure POP via SSH mini-HOWTO
Updated: September 1998. How to set up secure POP connections using ssh.
- Secure-Programs-HOWTO, Secure Programming for Linux and Unix HOWTO
Updated: March 2003. Provides a set of design and implementation guidelines for writing secure programs for Linux and Unix systems.
- Security-HOWTO, Linux Security HOWTO
Updated: June 2002. A general overview of security issues that face the administrator of Linux systems.
- Security-Quickstart-HOWTO, Security Quick-Start HOWTO for Linux
Updated: July 2002. An overview of the basic steps required to secure a Linux installation from intrusion.
- Security-Quickstart-Redhat-HOWTO, Security Quick-Start HOWTO for Redhat Linux
Updated: July 2002. An overview of the basic steps required to secure a Linux installation from intrusion (Redhat specific version).
- Sendmail-Address-Rewrite, sendmail address rewriting mini-HOWTO
Updated: May 1998. A brief description of how to set up sendmail’s configuration file for the home user’s dial-up access.
- Sendmail+UUCP, Sendmail+UUCP HOWTO
Updated: May 1998. How to setup a single machine with no direct access to the internet to route mail for you via sendmail and UUCP to a ‘smarter host’ (eg. your ISP).
- Sentry-Firewall-CD-HOWTO, Sentry Firewall CD HOWTO
Updated: October 2002. An introduction on how the Sentry Firewall CDROM works and how to get started using the system.
- Serbian-HOWTO, Serbian HOWTO
Updated: November 1998. Addresses Linux localization issues specific to Serbian users (written in Serbian).
- Serial-HOWTO, Serial HOWTO
Updated: May 2003. Describes serial port features other than those which should be covered by other HOWTOs. Lists information on multiport serial cards and contains detailed technical information about the serial port itself.
- Serial-Laplink-HOWTO, Serial Laplink HOWTO
Updated: July 2001. Details how to setup a “laplink” connection between two computers.
- Serial-Programming-HOWTO, Serial Programming HOWTO
Updated: August 2001. How to program communications with devices over a serial port on a Linux box.
- Shadow-Password-HOWTO, Linux Shadow Password HOWTO
Updated: April 1996. How to obtain, install, and configure the Linux password Shadow Suite.
- SLIP-PPP-Emulator, SLIP/PPP Emulator mini-HOWTO
Updated: February 2001. Describes how to get your Linux box to connect to a generic site via a SLIP/PPP emulator, such as SLiRP or TIA.
- Slovak-HOWTO, Slovak HOWTO
Updated: February 2002. Addresses Linux localization issues specific to Slovakian users (written in Slovak).
- Slovenian-HOWTO, Slovenian HOWTO
Updated: February 1999. Addresses Linux localization issues specific to Slovenian users (written in Slovenian).
- Small-Memory, Small Memory Mini-HOWTO
Updated: December 2000. How to run Linux on a system with a small amount of memory.
- Smart-Card-HOWTO, Smart Card HOWTO
Updated: September 2001. Information on smart card technology and its applications in Linux environment.
- SMB-HOWTO, SMB HOWTO
Updated: April 2000. How to use the Server Message Block (SMB) protocol, also called the Session Message Block, NetBIOS or LanManager protocol, with Linux using Samba.
- SMP-HOWTO, Linux SMP HOWTO
Updated: July 2002. Reviews main issues related to SMP configuration under Linux.
- Snort-Statistics-HOWTO, Snort-Setup for Statistics HOWTO
Updated: February 2002. Describes how to configure Snort version 1.8.3 to be used in conjunction with the statistical tools ACID (Analysis Console for Intrusion Databases) and SnortSnarf.
- Software-Building-HOWTO, Building and Installing Software Packages for Linux
Updated: July 1999. A comprehensive guide to building and installing “generic” UNIX software distributions under Linux.
- Software-Proj-Mgmt-HOWTO, Free Software Project Management HOWTO
Updated: April 2002. A guide to the non-technical aspects of free software project the non-technical aspects of free software project management; and was written to be a crash course in the people skills that aren’t taught to commercial coders but that can make or break a free software project.
- Software-RAID-HOWTO, Software-RAID HOWTO
Updated: August 2002. How to use Software RAID under Linux. It addresses a specific version of the Software RAID layer, namely the 0.90 RAID layer made by Ingo Molnar and others. This is the RAID layer that will be standard in Linux-2.4, and it is the version that is also used by Linux-2.2 kernels shipped from some vendors. The 0.90 RAID support is available as patches to Linux-2.0 and Linux-2.2, and is by many considered far more stable that the older RAID support already in those kernels.
- Software-RAID-0.4x-HOWTO, Software-RAID HOWTO (earlier implementation)
Updated: November 1998. How to use Software RAID under Linux. RAID stands for “Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks”. For users of the Linux MD kernel extension, the associated tools, and their use. This HOWTO addresses an earlier implementation.
- Software-Release-Practice-HOWTO, Software Release Practice HOWTO
Updated: January 2002. Describes good release practices for Linux open-source projects.
- Sound-HOWTO, The Linux Sound HOWTO
Updated: July 2001. Describes sound support for Linux (hardware, configuration, etc).
- Soundblaster-AWE, Sound Blaster AWE 32/64 HOWTO
Updated: January 1998. How to install and configure a Sound Blaster 32 (SB AWE 32, SB AWE 64) card from Creative Labs in a Linux System using the AWE Sound Driver Extension written by Takashi Iwai.
- Sound-Playing-HOWTO, The Linux Sound Playing HOWTO
Updated: August 1998. Lists applications for Linux that play various sound formats.
- Spanish-HOWTO, Spanish Linux HOWTO
Updated: August 1996. Contains information on Linux in the Spanish environment, for developing software with Spanish support or how to get in touch with the Linux community in Spain (written in Spanish).
- SPARC-HOWTO, SPARC-HOWTO
Updated: November 2000. Describes Linux on SPARC-based workstations.
- Speech-Recognition-HOWTO, Speech Recognition HOWTO
Updated: April 2002. Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR) on Linux is becoming easier. Several packages are available for users as well as developers. This document describes the basics of speech recognition and describes some of the available software.
- SRM-HOWTO, SRM Firmware HOWTO
Updated: November 2000. Describes how to boot Linux/Alpha using the SRM console, which is the console firmware also used to boot Compaq Tru64 Unix (also known as Digital Unix and OSF/1) and OpenVMS.
- SSI-UML-HOWTO, Creating SSI Clusters Using UML HOWTO
Updated: May 2002. A description of how to create a Single System Image (SSI) cluster of virtual User-Mode Linux (UML) machines.
- SSL-Certificates-HOWTO, SSL Certificates HOWTO
Updated: October 2002. How to manage a certificate authority (CA), and issue or sign certificates to be used for secure web, secure e-mail, or signing code and other usages.
- SSL-RedHat-HOWTO, Building a Secure RedHat Apache Server HOWTO
Updated: February 2001. Explains how PKI and SSL work together. It is essential to understand how the SSL protocol works to successfully deploy a secure server.
- StarOffice, StarOffice 3.1 Mini-HOWTO
Updated: November 1999. Information on installing the StarOffice 3.1 Office Suite by StarDivision.
- Swap-Space, Linux Swap Space Mini-HOWTO
Updated: December 2002. How to share your Linux swap partition with Windows.
- Sybase-ASA-HOWTO, Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere for Linux HOWTO
Updated: April 2001. Guides you through the installation of SQL Anywhere Studio 7.0.2 for Linux and the basic operation and administration of Adaptive Server Anywhere databases.
- Sybase-PHP-Apache, Sybase-PHP-Apache mini-HOWTO
Updated: July 2001. Explains how to set up a Linux machine to run an Apache web server using PHP to access a Sybase-ASE database.
- Tamil-Linux-HOWTO, Tamil Linux HOWTO
Updated: February 2003. Helps you to set up a working Tamil Linux environment. It describes setting up fonts, keyboard drivers, editing and printing Tamil/bilingual documents, and working with the X Window system.
- Tango-HOWTO, Tango 2000 HOWTO
Updated: July 2000. Describes the installation, configuration, and basic troubleshooting of Pervasive Software’s Tango Application Server on Sun Solaris and various flavours of Linux.
- TclTk-HOWTO, The Linux Tcl and Tk HOWTO
Updated: November 1998. Describes the Linux approach to Tcl, a scripting language.
- Term-Firewall, Using Term to Pierce an Internet Firewall
Archived – Last Update: July 1996. Directions for using “term” to do network stuff through a TCP firewall that you’re not supposed to be able to.
- TeTeX-HOWTO, The teTeX HOWTO: The Linux-teTeX Local Guide
Updated: November 1998. Covers the basic installation and usage of the teTeX TeX and LaTeX implementation, plus auxiliary packages like Ghostscript.
- Text-Terminal-HOWTO, Text-Terminal HOWTO
Updated: January 2003. Explains what text terminals are, how they work, how to install and configure them, and provides some info on how to repair them.
- Thai-HOWTO, The Linux Thai HOWTO
Updated: August 1998. How to use Thai language with Linux. This will cover setting Thai fonts, Thai keyboard and some Thai applications.
- Thinclient-HOWTO, Thin Client: New User Guide
Updated: November 1999. How to turn inexpensive legacy computers into fast terminals.
- TimePrecision-HOWTO, Managing Accurate Date and Time HOWTO
Updated: July 2003. Explains the time mechanisms on Linux, what are time zones, and precision with NTP.
- Tips-HOWTO, The Linux Tips HOWTO
Updated: June 1998. Contains those hard to find hints and tweekings that make Linux a bit nicer.
- TkRat, TkRat mini-HOWTO
Updated: September 1999. Geared toward anyone interested in using their Linux computer to send and receive Internet E-Mail.
- Token-Ring, Token-Ring mini-HOWTO
Updated: January 2002. Designed to help you get up and running using a Token Ring adaptor to access the network.
- Traffic-Control-tcng-HTB-HOWTO, Traffic Control using tcng and HTB HOWTO
Updated: April 2003. A brief tutorial on using tcng (Traffic Control Next Generation) with HTB (Hierarchical Token Bucket) to perform traffic shaping on a Linux machine.
- TransparentProxy, Transparent Proxy with Squid mini-HOWTO
Updated: August 2002. Provides information on how to setup a transparent caching HTTP proxy server using only Linux and squid.
- TT-Debian, TrueType Fonts in Debian mini-HOWTO
Updated: January 2000. How to configure a Debian system to use TrueType fonts for display and printing.
- TT-XFree86, TrueType Fonts with XFree86 4.0.x mini-HOWTO
Updated: February 2001. Describes how to use TrueType (*.ttf) fonts with XFree86 4.0.x.
- Turkish-HOWTO, Turkish HOWTO
Updated: September 1999. Addresses Linux localization issues specific to Turkish users (written in Turkish).
- Ultra-DMA, The Linux Ultra-DMA Mini-Howto
Updated: December 2001. How to use Ultra-DMA aka Ultra-ATA aka Ultra33 and Ultra66 hard drives and interfaces with Linux.
- UMSDOS-HOWTO, UMSDOS HOWTO
Updated: December 2001. Explains how to use Umsdos (a linux file system) in different configurations, and its operation.
- Unicode-HOWTO, The Unicode HOWTO
Updated: January 2001. How to change your Linux system so it uses UTF-8 as text encoding.
- Unix-and-Internet-Fundamentals-HOWTO, The Unix and Internet Fundamentals HOWTO
Updated: February 2002. Describes the working basics of PC-class computers, Unix-like operating systems, and the Internet in non-technical language.
- Unix-Hardware-Buyer-HOWTO, The Unix Hardware Buyer HOWTO
Updated: August 2001. This is your one-stop resource for information about how to buy and configure Intel hardware for cheap, powerful Unix systems.
- Update, The Staying Updated mini-HOWTO
Updated: May 2002. How to stay updated and abreast of the development that takes place in the Linux world of development.
- Upgrade, Upgrading Your Linux Distribution mini-HOWTO
Updated: March 2002. Hints and tips on upgrading from one linux distribution to another.
- UPS-HOWTO, The UPS HOWTO
Updated: November 1997. Helps you connect an uninterruptable power supply to a Linux box.
- USB-Digital-Camera-HOWTO, USB Digital Camera HOWTO
Updated: June 2002. Intended for the new Linux user who already has a camera with Universal Serial Bus (USB) mass storage capabilities or wants to buy one.
- Usenet-News-HOWTO, Usenet News HOWTO
Updated: August 2002. A complete HOWTO on Usenet news.
- User-Authentication-HOWTO, User Authentication HOWTO
Updated: May 2000. Explains how user and group information is stored and how users are authenticated on a Linux system (PAM), and how to secure you system’s user authentication.
- User-Group-HOWTO, Linux User Group HOWTO
Updated: April 1998. A guide to founding, maintaining, and growing a Linux User Group.
- UUCP-HOWTO, The Linux UUCP HOWTO
Updated: December 2001. Describes the setup, care & feeding of UUCP under Linux.
- VAIO+Linux, Linux on Sony VAIO mini-HOWTO
Updated: September 1998. This document explains installation of Linux on Sony VAIO computers.
- Valgrind-HOWTO, Valgrind HOWTO
Updated: September 2002. A guide to Valgrind, the malloc debugger.
- VAR-HOWTO, Linux VAR HOWTO
Updated: August 1999. Contains a listing of service companies which do not manufacture hardware or create packaged software, but add value to existing products.
- VB6-to-Tcl, VB6 To Tcl mini-HOWTO
Updated: April 2003. A 15 Minute Tcl Tour For Visual Basic and VBScript Programmers.
- VCR-HOWTO, VCR-HOWTO – Using your GNU/Linux computer as a VCR
Updated: July 2001. A guide to setting up your GNU/Linux workstation as a digital VCR using the video4linux driver and a supported tuner card.
- VideoLAN-HOWTO, VideoLAN HOWTO
Updated: April 2003. Describes how to use the complete VideoLAN streaming solution.
- Vim-HOWTO, Vim Color Editor HOWTO (Vi Improved w/syntax color highlighting)
Updated: May 2003. A guide to very quickly setup Vim color editor on Linux or Unix systems.
- Virtual-Services-HOWTO, Virtual Services HOWTO
Updated: August 1998. How to virtualize a service.
- Virtual-Web, Virtual Web mini-HOWTO
Updated: June 2001. Discuss the essentials of setting up a Virtual Web Site under Linux.
- Visual-Bell, Visible bell mini-Howto
Updated: December 2001. How to use termcap to configure a visual bell on one’s system and describes how to disable audible bells on demand.
- VMailMgr-HOWTO, VMailMgr HOWTO
Updated: April 2000. Explains how to setup VMailMgr to support pop3 virtual domain services in conjunction with Qmail.
- VME-HOWTO, VME HOWTO
Updated: February 2002. Shows the embedded system community how to run Linux on their VMEbus Pentium and other PCI local bus based VMEbus processor designs.
- VMS-to-Linux-HOWTO, From VMS to Linux HOWTO
Updated: September 1999. Aimed at all those who have been using VMS and now need or want to switch to Linux.
- VoIP-HOWTO, VoIP Howto
Updated: August 2002. Voice Over IP is a new communication means that let you telephone with Internet at almost null cost. This document covers how this is done.
- VPN-HOWTO, VPN HOWTO
Updated: May 2002. How to set up a Virtual Private Network with Linux.
- VPN, The VPN HOWTO
Archived – Last Update: December 2001. See the VPN-HOWTO.
- VPN-Masquerade-HOWTO, Linux VPN Masquerade HOWTO
Updated: October 2000. How to configure a Linux firewall to masquerade IPsec- and PPTP-based Virtual Private Network traffic, allowing you to establish a VPN connection without losing the security and flexibility of your Linux firewall’s internet connection and allowing you to make available a VPN server that does not have a registered internet IP address.
- Wacom-Tablet-HOWTO, Wacom Tablet HOWTO
Updated: August 2001. Installation of (not only) Wacom graphic tablets under linux and/or xfree86.
- Wacom-USB-mini-HOWTO, Wacom Graphire USB Mini-HOWTO
Updated: June 2000. How to setup a Wacom Graphire USB tablet for use with Linux.
- Wearable-HOWTO, Wearable HOWTO
Updated: November 2000. Nomadism is one of the major trends of our society, now most of the people can work with a laptop computer, but few did the next step: to live, or if you prefer to wear one computer – that is a wearable.
- Web-Browsing-Behind-ISA-Server-HOWTO, Web Browsing Behind ISA Server HOWTO
Updated: May 2003. If you are using a Linux box connected to a Windows-based ISA server, this article will help you in set things up so you can browse the web from your Linux machine.
- WikiText-HOWTO, LDP WikiText Editing HOWTO
Updated: January 2002. Explains how to use the LDP WikiText editing format to create DocBook documents for the LDP.
- Windows-LAN-Server-HOWTO, Windows LAN server HOW-TO
Updated: March 2003. Intended to assist those who wish to consider Linux as a server within an office environment which has PC’s primarily running Microsoft Windows 9x.
- Winmodems-and-Linux-HOWTO, Winmodems-and-Linux HOWTO
Updated: April 2001. Helps users get a Winmodem working under Linux.
- Wireless-HOWTO, Wireless HOWTO for Linux Systems
Updated: July 2002. Document explains how to setup Wireless in Linux, compatibility problems, something about geographic requirements and more.
- Wireless-Link-sys-WPC11, Link-sys WPC11 Mini-HOWTO
Updated: July 2003. How to set up a Wireless Link-Sys WPC11 card using a Link-SYS Wireless Access Point/DSL/Switch on a Debian system.
- Wireless-Sync-HOWTO, Wireless Sync HOWTO
Updated: December 2001. Explains how to perform a wireless, network sync between a Handspring Visor and jpilot or jpilot-sync.
- WordPerfect, WordPerfect Mini-howto
Updated: August 1997. Discusses running WordPerfect on Linux, including a brief discussion on the WordPerfect 7.0 beta.
- WWW-HOWTO, Linux WWW HOWTO
Updated: August 1999. Information about setting up WWW services under Linux (both server and client).
- WWW-mSQL-HOWTO, A mSQL and perl Web Server HOWTO
Updated: September 1997. How to build a SQL client/server database using WWW and HTML for the user interface.
- X-Big-Cursor, X11-big-cursor mini-HOWTO
Updated: August 1997. How to use enlarged mouse cursors with the X window system.
- XDMCP-HOWTO, Linux XDMCP HOWTO
Updated: January 2003. How to setup XDMCP (“X Display Manager Control Protocol”).
- XDM-Xterm, XDM and X Terminal mini-HOWTO
Updated: May 2002. Describes the basic ideas for using XDM to manage X terminals. It is not meant to be a comprehensive discussion of all the features of XDM, but a gentle introduction to what XDM can to for X terminals.
- XFree86-HOWTO, The Linux XFree86 HOWTO
Updated: September 2001. How to obtain, install, and configure version 4.0 of the XFree86 version of the X Window System (X11R6) for Linux systems.
- XFree-Local-multi-user-HOWTO, XFree local multi-user HOWTO
Updated: July 2003. Explains the shortest way to get a working multiple local X user-capable PC system.
- XFree86-R200, ATI R200 + XFree86 4.x mini-HOWTO
Updated: July 2003. Describes the procedure of making XFree 4.x run on an ATI R200 (Radeon 8xxx series).
- XFree86-Second-Mouse, Second Mouse in X mini-HOWTO
Updated: November 2001. Quick instructions to enable a second mouse in X.
- XFree86-Touch-Screen-HOWTO, Linux Touch Screen HOWTO
Updated: November 2002. How to set up a touch screen input device under XFree86.
- XFree86-Video-Timings-HOWTO, XFree86 Video Timings HOWTO
Updated: July 2003. How to compose a mode line for your card/monitor combination under XFree86.
- XFree86-XInside, Linux XFree-to-Xinside mini-HOWTO
Updated: September 1997. How to convert an XFree86 modeline into an XInside/XiGraphics one.
- Xinerama-HOWTO, Using Xinerama to MultiHead XFree86 v.4.0+
Updated: November 2002. How to configure XFree86 Version 4.0+ with multiple monitors and the Xinerama extentions.
- XML-RPC-HOWTO, XML-RPC HOWTO
Updated: April 2001. Describes how to use XML-RPC to implement clients and servers in a variety of languages. Provides example code; applies to all operating systems with XML-RPC support.
- Xterminals, Connecting X Terminals to Linux Mini-HOWTO
Updated: May 2003. How to connect X Terminals with a Linux host using nfs, xfs, xdm and xdmcp.
- Xterm-Title, How to change the title of an xterm
Updated: October 1999. How to use escape sequences to dynamically change window and icon titles of an xterm.
- XWindow-Overview-HOWTO, X Window System Architecture Overview HOWTO
Updated: May 2001. Provides an overview of the X Window System’s architecture.
- XWindow-User-HOWTO, The X Window User HOWTO
Updated: October 2002. Provides basic information (introductory level) on understanding and configuring the X Window System for Linux users.
- ZIP-Drive, Zip Drive Mini-HOWTO
Updated: March 2002. Provides a quick reference quide on setting up and using the Iomega ZIP drive with Linux.
- ZIP-Install, Installing Linux on ZIP disk using ppa ZIP Drive Mini-Howto
Updated: January 1998. This document is only useful for those with the printer port version of a ZIP drive who wish to have either a portable or backup Linux system on a ZIP disk.