Organ Concert by Austin Lovelace
01 J. S. BACH: Prelude and Fugue in A Minor
02 PACHELBEL: Vom Himmel Hoch
03 FLOR PETERS: Aria for Organ, Op. 51
04 HERMANN SCHROEDER: Prelude No. 6, from Op. 9
05 HERMANN SCHROEDER: Schönster Jesu (from Organ-Chorales, Op. 11)
06 J. S. BACH: Wachet auf, ruft ins die Stimme
07 J. S. BACH: Erbarm’ dich mein, o Herre Gott
08 D’AQUIN: Grand Jeu e Duo
Concertapes 24-3 (¼-inch, 2-track stereo tape)
Recorded in 1957
Digital transfer by F. Reeder
(High bit rate)
Austin P. Lovelace, a native of North Carolina, studied organ with Clarence Dickinson and Hugh Porter, and holds the degree of Doctor of Sacred Music from The Union Theological Seminary in New York. Since 1952, Dr. Lovelace has been Minister of Music at the First Methodist Church in Evanston, Illinois; prior to that he held a similar post at the First Presbyterian Church in Greensboro, N. C. He is also chapel organist at the Garrett Biblical Institute in Evanston.
Dr. Lovelace has chosen a varied program of serious organ music, including compositions from the Baroque and the Modern eras. The selections demonstrate amply both the tonal quality and range of the organ and the vividness of stereophonic recording.
Located in the Sanctuary of the First Methodist Church of Evanston, Illinois, the organ heard in these recordings was entirely rebuilt in 1954 by its maker, Austin Organ, inc., to combine the chorus work and mutations typical of older construction with the solo stops characteristic of modern organ building. The organ has four manuals, and 4,782 pipes ranged in 75 ranks and 85 stops. The range of the instrument extends from the 32-foot contrabourdon to a 1-foot sifflote; that is, almost entire the sonic limit.
The Sanctuary, in which the organ is heard, is a large hall of stone and hard-plaster, decked with a high wooden ceiling. Though quite large (seating 1600), the Sanctuary has an excellent reverberation-time, lending full resonance to the sound of the organ, but not obscuring the clarity of melody or of chordal structure. The antiphonal organ, situated at the rear of the hall, replies, echo-fashion, or lends additional color to the main body of the instrument.